Thursday, July 14, 2011

Right Said Red

Three years ago I bought color boxes from Lakeshore.  The teacher in me told me I HAD to have them.  The mom in me now knows that I could have done just the same for a lot less money. 

I like that the box is small and she can carry it around.  What I don't like is the top is difficult to take off.  I think a flip top or an open red basket would work better. 




Originally the boxes came with 4 items, but I have gathered a few more to put in her red box.  She has had a great time pulling items in and out of of the box.  So far, the ball and the car have been her favorite red items. 


When I introduced her red box, I put it on her mat and let her explore.  After 2 days, I presented the box on the floor with three items.  I picked up an item and said, "This is a red ____."  I repeated it two more times..  She explored the three items and I said, "Wee One, can you please give me the red ____?"  If she didn't give me the correct item I would hold up the item I had asked for and said, "This is the red ___."   The whole time it was kept light and fun with no pressure to be right.

4 comments:

  1. Love it and will copy it. Surprise!
    We need to live closer so we can set up a toy and supply share. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo, I love this! I need to make some of these boxes up for Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there!

    Last year I did a series of "Colour Fun" posts for teaching colours, including a post on "Buckets of Colour", much like yours here! You might enjoy the series...

    http://allthingschildren.blogspot.com/2010/10/colour-fun-9-buckets-of-colour.html

    Georgia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georgia I love the small buckes just right for little hands. I think I am going to have to have boxes and buckts! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete