Friday, January 25, 2013

Making A Piggy

What I am going to say you may not believe, but I promise the next activity is not a huge mess to clean.  I mean it's no bigger of a mess than most things we do and to tell you the truth I asked myself what I was thinking doing this with two 4-year-olds and a 2-year-old.  

Papier-Mache!  (DUN DUN DUN)

If you didn't immediately click out of this page then check out these cute piggy banks made from tea boxes.

Ingredients - Just in case you haven't papier-mached since elementary school

  • Equal parts flour and water
  • Torn paper - We used paper bags
  • Box or balloon to papier-mache
  • Big bowl

After we mixed our flour and water until we had a paste mixture, I showed Mister, Ladybug, and the Wee One how to put the strips in the mixture, remove the excess, and place on their box.  The Wee One was hesitant because she didn't exactly love the feeling of the flour and water, but she came around when she saw her siblings have a blast.



Was this a bad choice for pictures?  Again, don't be afraid of the mess because it wipes up easily.  I also stuck them in the shower for easy kid clean up.
These took at least 4 days to fully dry and harden, but they were amazed at how hard the boxes were.
After the boxes have fully dried I cut a slit in the top for coins and a flap on the bottom to remove the coins.  They painted them and let them dry for another day.


We added a nose, eyes, ears, and a tail for a finished papier-mache piggy bank.


And in case you were wondering about the girl's fashion we had chose your own clothing adventure.  She was very creative.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment